Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hanging some decoration..

Before we left Florida, we had the chance to go to the Miami International Boat Show.  At the show we picked up a bit of art to spruce up the interior of "Zeta".  The piece was by the world's premier marine wildlife artist Guy Harvey.  We had the opportunity to meet him and have him sign the picture.









Keeping US Safe...

With boat fires being on the for front of the news in the last couple of months, I made sure that we had a fire/carbon monoxide alarm in the boat.  We where sadden to learn that folks, whom we associated with during our summers at the Bellingham marina, perished recently in a multiple boat fire early in the morning while they slept on their boat which was one of many lost in a fire. 


Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Routing the volts...


“Zeta” is electrically challenged.  Being built for the European market, the rules for her certification are a bit different then here in the US.  Because they stern tie their vessels a majority of the time, the shore power connection is at the stern of the vessel.  Thus the first problem is that a standard 50 ft cord has a hard time reaching the shore power outlet if you go bow first into the slip.

The next problem was the lack of a CB within 10 feet of the shore power receptacle.  Because of these two major deficiencies, I have started to move the the shore power receptacle closer to the center of the vessel, incorporate a galvanic isolator, and CB.





Note the next item to look into.... why is the voltage reading 142.3 volts?  According to the volt meter that I connected to check the system, it is about 20 volts too high.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Drill and Tap...

It was a simple project.  Remove the sun driven dorade vent and replacing it with a traditional vent system.  I was 90 percent done when I broke the tap off in the third to last hole.


This disaster led to an adventurous trip through Ensenada.  Now in a country where km’s are used for speed, the temps are in “C’s”, and the fuel is in liters, you would think that you would be able to find a metric tap. Oh no, the only taps to be found at Home Depot and the local tool shop where standard.

    So, after yet another adventure, and the help of some kind people, I found a new metric tap.  I only wish they where able to shorten the day it took me to drill and pound out the broken tap.


   

The Zebra looses it’s stripes...


     This is a preview of “Zeta” without her “stripes”.  We removed the red stripes and the blue going down the stern trim piece. 






                       All she needs now is the final coat of white paint, and the bottom paint.








Saturday, April 21, 2012

Valves Found...

     The mystery of the lost valves has been solved.  During the “buyers” survey the thru hull valves for the forward holding tank and direct overboard could not be found.  The folks in Turkey have either a very odd sense of humor, or a definite separation of work responsibilities when it comes to building vessels.

    It appears that someone built the hull, another person come in and did the electrical, and then some place along the way the plumber did his thing.  Last but not least, the carpenter completed the interior, doing a beautiful job, with the finest of detail and covered every thing up!

    Why would you want to look at those ugly valves, never mind being able to get to them.  After doing some detective work a door was cut into the finish work next to the head.  The valves appeared properly installed in all their glory.



    

Monday, April 16, 2012

                                             "Zeta" finally arrived in Ensenada, Mexico.

     She had a few bruises that will have to be taken care of (the sun shade canvas and head sail cover where damaged), but over all things went well.

 
    There are probably few people that have had a chance to climb aboard a freighter in this fashion.

     Once on board we where able to inspect "Zeta" then help with her removal from the ship.  Freighters are not yachts by any imagination!  The decks are full of clutter, grease and people.
It was quite the event to watch.


     Over the side she went.  We where happy to climb aboard and find all went well with the engine and generator start up.  The only thing that was a miss was that the "old girl" had no idea  where she was.  The GPS had the right Lat/Long, but the chart was still that of Palm Beach, Florida.

     Being that the boat yard was in sight, we motored over for the hull out. Later with a simple full boot of the nav system we where in known waters with the proper chart.


     So, back on the dry she went for a new bottom job and a few other details.  Note the local folks watching the show ... this seems to be an afternoon past time.


Sunday, April 1, 2012

On her way....

"Zeta" is on her way west bound.  We put her on a cargo ship to get her to the west coast of the U.S..


It took two times to get her on the ship.  The night before I kept "Zeta" just off the bow of the ship in a 32 knot wind, white caps, and a rolling sea while we waited for the signal to come up to be loaded.  At 8:30 PM that evening it was finally our turn to come along side.  After she was in the hands of the ships crew I was taken off by a small skiff.  Back on shore we went to dinner before heading out of town.  At dinner my cell phone rang.  It was the load master, he needed me to come and take "Zeta"away from the ship because of the weather.


At 11 PM I got her to a berth suggested by the skiff captain.  At 5 AM the next morning I got up and had her in position at 6 AM to give it another try.  This time all went well and she got lashed down for her adventure west bound.